The Location Offset a 16.5% refundable tax offset (rebate) calculated on Qualifying Australian Production Expenditure (QAPE).
Location Offset QAPE generally covers the production expenditure for the film or television program in relation to:
The Location Offset is administered by the Department of Communications and the Arts. To find out more click here.
We recommend you seek independent, professional legal, financial and accounting advice if you are intending to apply for any of the Australian Screen Production Incentives.
Client Liason Executive
+ 1 310229 2361
Head of Policy & Research – Ausfilm
+ 61 2 9383 4556
Eligible formats include feature films, telemovies, television series (including documentary, reality, animation) for:
– Productions with a minimum total QAPE of A$15 million
– In addition to meeting the minimum total QAPE spend, television series must have an average QAPE of A$1 million per hour of the finished production
Applicants for a Location Offset must be an Australian resident company or a foreign company with an Australian Business Number (ABN) that is operating with a permanent establishment in Australia. The applicant must be the company that is responsible for all the activities involved in making the film in Australia.
– There is no cap or sunset clause on the incentives
– The incentives are a cash rebate paid to the producer, less any tax liabilities as part of the company’s tax lodgment for the relevant income year
– The incentives can be combined with state, territory and local government incentives
– The Film Certification Advisory Board will assess applications including audited financial statements and if eligible a Final Certificate is issued by the Minister for the Arts.
– Payment is usually made in 4 weeks from lodgement of a Final Certificate with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
– No cultural or content tests
– A producer may access only one of the Australian Government incentives for each eligible project
– Immigration regulations apply to importing cast and crew. Download Ausfilm’s Visa Factsheet in the documents tab below.